The term grass refers to those plants that do not have a trunk and their stem has a green, soft color. There are different types of herbs, some of which can be very beneficial for the life of a human being, however, many people do not know their uses and properties. It is important to keep this in mind and not just think that grass is what can be found in the yard of a house. There are compositions of the herb that can even relieve diseases, but for that, you have to know what the herb is and what kind of herbs exist.
What is grass
It is any plant that is born naturally in any terrain, which has no trunk and its stem is soft and green, dying after being cut.
The grass is a plant to which different names are attributed depending on the place where it is born as grass, grass, yuyo. That is, the one that originates in the land is called grass, the one that is born in the fields for cattle feed, it is called grass, etc.
In popular culture, the herb is known as any plant that has healing properties (medicinal use) or gastronomic, regardless of whether what is used is the stem or the leaf. If what is used of the plant is the root, seed, or bark it is called a species.
In etymological terms, the word herb comes from the Latin “herba” which is related to the word “to grow”.
Characteristics of the herb
Like any plant, the herb has its own characteristics, including:
- Their structure lacks a woody base and instead they keep tender green stems that die and are replaced by new ones every age.
- They are the most widespread type of plant in the world due to their great germination capacity, high adaptability, and resistance.
- The group of herbaceous plants is characterized by keeping all those plants that are not composed of a woody stem. For example cereals, cotton, vegetables, and more.
- Herbs can be born almost anywhere that has soil and water. As long as they are in their favorable season of the year.
Uses of the herb
Since prehistory, human being resorts to the use of the herb from decoration to medicinal use.
Herbs are used for medicine since the beginning of humanity. This is because some plants contain phytochemicals that have positive effects on the body.
Although, many of them can produce counterproductive effects on the human being if he abuses use. For example, St. John’s wort maintains properties that relieve depression and stress. But if it is abused, it can lead to toxic overload.
In general, these healing herbs serve both to calm physical and emotional ailments. For example, the holy herb helps decrease fever and inflammation of the kidneys, stomach pains, respiratory problems, and fights nervousness, and insomnia, among others.
A plant that has very similar results in the digestive system is Swedish herbs, they serve as a corrector of the digestive system, eliminate stomach heaviness, constipation, and more, acting as an excellent intestinal regulator.
There is also a very particular plant because it not only works as a medicinal herb but is also attractive to felines, and it is the grass for cats. It is a plant that looks similar to mint and has been used in infusions to aid digestion.
There are even healing plants that mix with others and have favorable properties, such as toad grass, which if combined with other medicinal plants helps the treatment of gonorrhea. Toad grass is extremely effective in dissolving stones in the kidneys and gallbladder, treating cancer, and lowering cholesterol and triglyceride levels if taken as an infusion.
These types of plants are usually characterized by perfumed or astringent odor, even many of these plants are used as insecticides, repellents, and disinfectants and are commonly used to make perfumes. For example, rose, lavender, or jasmine plants with a characteristic aroma so they are used to make fragrances. Like violet, geranium, or different types of roses (rosa Damascena and rosa centifolia).
Gastronomic herbs have a great use for the creation of gourmet dishes or give more flavor to a meal and intensify its flavor.
Within the gastronomic field, the recurrence of the use of those so-called weeds for the preparation of dishes is increasing. Such as nettles, colleja, or poppy.
The use of recreational plants is used to carry out rituals full of spirituality to reach a state of “elevation of consciousness”.
Its consumption implies “self-knowledge”, inner healing, and achieving a different perception of reality. Some of them are salvia Divinorum (“herb of the gods”), and Calea Zacatechichi (“herb of dreams“).
They are cultivated and marketed with the aim of decorative uses for their aesthetic characteristics, foliage, their fruits, and other compositions. Like gannet, petunias or camellias.
This determination also includes trees, shrubs, and even grass. For this reason, they are classified into decorative indoor and outdoor plants.
Examples of herbs
- Garden savory is a summer herb. It reaches 30 cm and has thin stems of purple color while the leaves are long and narrow of greenish-gray color. This plant is used in gastronomy. But this herb has a variable that is winter, reaching 60 cm. It has bright foliage of dark green color. It is also used in gastronomy but has a much harsher and spicier taste.
- In autumn, we have the cedron which is a rustic plant and requires full exposure to the sun. This plant is used both in dishes and in drugs, using its fresh or dried leaves in the same way.
- Ending with a spring herb, we have Aloe Vera which is known for its popular ability to regenerate the skin and relieve burns or itching. It has fleshy green leaves and also with skewers at its ends.
- Basil, star anise, cinnamon, cardamom, dill, mint, rosemary, and thyme, among others are mostly used to make the herbal liqueur.
Frequently Asked Questions about Hierba
What is the meaning of grass?
Term with which all those plants that do not have a trunk and their stem has a green color, soft which die when cut.
What is the grass like?
It has green color, they do not have a trunk but a soft structure, mostly green. It also has no branches. Some come in the form of single stems and others have leaves of different shapes and sizes.
What are fine herbs?
They are considered fine herbs, those aromatic used in gastronomy, can be used fresh or dehydrated. Such as oregano, fennel, laurel, and tarragon, among others.
What is toad grass for?
It has several uses, including:
- In the form of tea: the leaves are used, indicated for the treatment of cough, lower cholesterol, dissolution of stones in the kidneys and gallbladder, and treatments help in the treatment of some urinary infections.
- The roots are mostly used in confectionery. With the juice of the root, an extract used as an aphrodisiac is obtained.
- Combined with other plants, it helps in the treatment of gonorrhea.
What are the weeds?
Weeds are those herbaceous that are born in places where they are not desired, such as in the middle of a crop. Its name is also attributed to it because some of them maintain toxic properties for humans or animals. For example, wheat weed produces gigantism, symptoms harmful to health, and can even lead to death.